1 lb. pasta (elbow macaroni or shells)
1 cup extra sharp cheddar shredded
1 cup mozzarella shredded
1 cup Gruyère shredded
1 cup Parmesan shredded
Half stick of real butter
2 Tbsp. flour
Small can Evaporated milk
2 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Garlic salt
1/2 tsp. Crushed red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
Fresh Basil (optional)
1. Boil a large pot of water and season with salt and Olive Oil.
2. For the roux, melt butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan and gradually add flour, start off with about a tbsp and whisk. Keep adding the flour until the roux is a nice golden brown color.
3. Heat up the 2 cups of whole milk either in a sauce pan or in the microwave then pour in to the roux a little at a time and keep whisking until the roux has completely dissolved into the milk creating a bechamel sauce (smooth milk gravy.) This is the base for the cheese sauce.
4. Add in the cheeses a little at a time and keep stirring. *reserve some of the mozzarella and parm for topping off the dish before I bake it. If your cheese sauce is too thick, add a little more milk.
5. After your cheese is melted, start adding your seasonings; black pepper, salt, paprika, garlic salt, chilli flakes, nutmeg. Keep the sauce on low heat and stir occasionally.
6. Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain and put it back in the pot it was cooked in.
7. Add the chopped fresh basil to the cheese and pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Combine thoroughly and then transfer to a greased baking dish.
8. In a small bowl use a fork to mix together the egg and half a can of evaporated milk. Season with the same spices you used for the cheese sauce. This mixture is the custard for the dish.
9. Pour the egg and evaporated milk mixture evenly over the mac n cheese. Set in the fridge for about 30 mins.
10. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
11. Take the dish out of the fridge, top it with the reserved mozzarella and parm, drizzle some Olive Oil over the top and bake it for about 25-30 mins or until the top is bubbling and golden brown.
12. Once it’s done, let it set for about 10-15 mins. Then enjoy! This makes about 10 servings.